18- Mother in Denial

I have made several attempts to contact Kramer’s mother. I want her to meet with me for a conference about Kramer’s learning deficiencies. The results of Kramer’s DRA are alarming, and his mother needs to be informed. I have left her four messages in the past two weeks. She has yet to return my calls.
This is not a situation of neglect, but more of an issue of avoidance. Kramer is a well cared for child; he is dressed nicely, fed well, and his mother completes his homework for him every night. Clearly the woman does not want to admit that her son is struggling. Kramer’s old teacher warned me that his mother would rather ignore her son’s teachers than admit that her baby boy has leaning problems.
I feel sorry for Kramer and for his mother, but the kid needs help- and the sooner, the better.

No comments: