20- Fire Drills

Last week we had an announced fire drill, which meant that all of the teachers knew about it and were able to warn their students. The purpose was to get the students accustomed to the appropriate exiting procedures. Today, there was an unannounced fire drill. Just as we had practiced last week, my students quickly lined up at the backdoor and solemnly exited the building. I was proud of the efficient way they handled the drill.

On route to the parking lot we passed by the Music Room. The backdoor to the Music Room was open and I could see the teacher motioning frantically to a small group of Hispanic students. The kids looked confused.

As we got nearer, I could hear the teacher yelling, “Es muy caliente! Muy caliente!” She was jumping around, like her feet were on fire.

It is very hot? Very hot?

Breaking strict fire drill conduct, I stopped my class and asked the teacher if she needed help. Looking frazzled, the Music Teacher exclaimed, “I don’t know how to say fire drill in Spanish!”

Oh! My!

I don’t know much Spanish, but I do know that screaming “Es muy caliente” and jumping around like a lunatic is not the way to direct students out of a burning building. I motioned for the cluster of Hispanic students to join the back of my line. The Music Teacher followed as we made our way to the safety of the parking lot.

I suggested that she confer with the ESOL teachers about communicating with the Spanish speaking children during emergency situations. I almost suggested she enroll in a Spanish class at the local university.

The incident made me feel angry. It’s a tricky situation, we can’t expect American teachers to know Spanish, but our Hispanic student population is growing larger every day. I think that The District should provide a basic conversational Spanish course to teachers. Perhaps all teachers currently seeking teaching certificates should be required to take Spanish classes before they are employed.

No comments: