29- Observed by Principal

Principal observed my teaching today. She is scheduled to do that several times this year, and today was the first. Because I am a first- year teacher, my observations are somewhat predictable and are designed to provide only positive feed back. Principal had forewarned me that she would be visiting my classroom in the middle of this month. Experienced teachers have no warning before an observation and are often subjected to harsh criticism.
Principal came at a good time of day for our class. We had just begun an engrossing math lesson on plotting points on a coordinate plane. The kids were interested because the lesson greatly resembled the way you play the game Battleship. The conclusion of the lesson allowed them to play a game similar to Battleship and would help them practice locating coordinate pairs. Thankfully, the kids were on their best behavior because Principal was in the room.
I feel confident as a teacher. I take my job very seriously, and although I know I have a lot to learn, I think I am on the right track. Usually, in the classroom, I feel great about my teaching skills. I know I make mistakes, but I like to think I’m doing a good job for my kids.
Principal’s presence in my classroom squashed my confidence. I continued teaching as if she was not there, but in the back of my mind I could not ignore her. I found my self repeating things in my head, wondering if they made sense. Should I have told the kids that? Am I being confusing? Am I going too fast? Is this too easy? Or is it too difficult? I was flooded with self doubt. I so badly want to be a good teacher, and I want other people to think that I am a good teacher.
Just as quietly as she came in, Principal left. She gave me a little nod and a smile on her way out the door, which made me feel a little better. Principal always calls me “Sweet-Pea”, which I like, but it reminds me how young I am compared to my coworkers. My experienced coworkers.
I can’t help but worry. I hope she liked my lesson. Were my lesson plans written properly? Did I follow my plans appropriately? I’ll find out in a few days, when Principal puts a copy of her report in my mailbox.

No comments: