77- Thanksgiving

Today was a half day for students; school was dismissed at 11:30. We get the last three days of this week off for Thanksgiving. Vacation time is definitely a perk to this job.
To make the day fun, I had my students reenact the original Thanksgiving feast. Some kids dressed as Pilgrims and others dressed as Indians. As a special treat I brought in turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. The kids and I pushed all the desks into a long row and sat together to eat. We took turns sharing things that we were thankful for.

Kramer: I am thankful that my mom got me a cute little baby sister to play with.
Mattie: I am thankful that my daddy will be home this year to eat Thanksgiving with us, because last year he had to work.
Ajith: I am thankful that my grandparents still live in India, because my grandmother is a little scary and she doesn’t eat turkey.
Ashleigh: I am thankful for baseball and especially for Boston. Go Red Sox!
Josh: I am thankful that Ajith didn’t pee in his pants one time this whole week.
Robbie: It’s only Tuesday morning, Ajith has plenty of time left to pee in his pants.
Josh: Well I’m not thankful that Jorge (Turd Boy) smells like crap all the time.
Gaby: I’m thankful that I don’t have to see any of you rude boys for five whole days.

After all of the students had left, teachers were free to finish up any work they needed to do in their classroom. I used this time as an opportunity to redo the bulletin board that I had clawed down in haste last week. This time, I did not use monkeys. Instead, I used plain red construction paper to back the board and then I lined it with a plain green border. It looks dull, but only took me thirty minutes to put up.
While I was working in the hallway, I could hear laughter coming from Caroline’s classroom. She and Ms. Viamonte, who are new best-friends, were inside chatting away. I’d like to believe that the kiss I saw between Ms. Viamonte and Mark was a one time, drunken mistake, but from their body language I could tell that they were familiar with each other. Ms. Viamonte wants Caroline’s husband, and the sorostitute knows that spending time with Caroline will get her closer to Mark.
That home-wrecking slut!
I have been dealing with a lot of guilt. Sometimes I feel like I should tell Caroline what I saw, but other times… other times I feel like I need to stay out of it.

No comments: