111- Nintendo

Robbie showed up to school today sheepishly carrying a plastic bag. “My mom told me to give this to you.” He reluctantly handed me the bag.
“What’s in it?” I asked.
“My Nintendo.” He scowled and looked at the bag. “And all of my games.”
His Nintendo?
I peered into the bag to confirm that the boy’s claim was true. Inside were a Nintendo and over two dozen Nintendo games. “Why did you bring these to school?”
“I brought them to give to Demarcus. I know that that box isn’t really for millions of G.I. Joes,” Robbie gestured towards the Donations Box, “It’s for donations. And I am donating my Nintendo and all of my games.”
I was dumfounded. “Robbie, this is awfully generous of you.”
“Well,” Robbie drew in a long breath and then whispered, “My mom told me I had to donate something. She said it had to be something that would make Demarcus feel happy again. So, I thought about it all weekend and finally realized that my Nintendo made me happy all the time.” The boy paused and looked longingly at the plastic bag. “If playing these games can make me happy, I’m sure they’ll make Demarcus happy, too.”
I felt a lump in my throat. “You mean it was your idea to give Demarcus your Nintendo?”
“Yes.” Robbie shrugged, “I’ll miss playing with it, but I have lots of other toys.”
Tears welled up in my eyes, “That’s so sweet!”
“Oh, gosh!” Robbie slapped himself in the forehead. “My mom cried, too!” The little boy shook his head like I was crazy and then walked over to place his Nintendo in the Donations Box. He returned to me with a handful of tissues, “It’s okay, Teacher.” Robbie patted me on the back as I accepted the tissues. He shook his head one more time and then went to his desk to begin his morning work.
Kids can be utterly amazing.

No comments: