115- Late Start, Ice

School began on a two hour delay today. Last night, it sleeted for a while and the temperatures remained cold enough to leave a little bit of morning ice on the roads. For safety reasons, the District decided to put the schools on a two hour delay. The rule is, if the kids get a two-hour late start, the teachers get a one-hour late start. If the kids only get a one-hour late start, teachers have to come to work at their regular time. I love two hour delays because I get a whole extra hour of sleep.
I slept late this morning and then arrived at work to enjoy the luxury of a full hour free of children to prepare for the day. At 9:30 the school bell rang and kids began to file, one by one, into my classroom.
All were in high spirits, except for Turd Boy. He entered my classroom as a dripping wet block of ice. His teeth were chattering and his dark complexion had paled.
“What happened to you?” I asked, rushing to greet the child. “Why are you all wet? And why are you wearing shorts?” I looked down to see that Turd Boy had come to school in a pair of cut-off jean shorts that barely reached his knees.
“I ain’t got no TV at my house. I didn’t know about no delay. I waited and waited and waited for that dang bus the whole time.” Turd Boy started to cry and wrapped his arms around my waist.
I cringed. In addition to his everyday filth, Turd Boy was soaked with water. Obviously his bus stop does not provide shelter from the rain.
Relenting, I hugged him back and felt my own clothes become saturated with frosty wetness. After allowing the boy time to shed his tears, I wrapped him up in a blanket that I kept by the Reading Rug chair.
Due to the boy’s infamy for soiled garments, I knew that Nurse would be able to help. I sent Turd Boy to her office to request a change of clothes.
My outfit, from where he had hugged me, was soaked. I too, was chilled to the bone. I knew I would have no choice, but to hope that my clothes would air dry as quickly as possible. When I left school this afternoon, at 4:30, my clothes were still damp and I was still freezing.

No comments: