24- Slinging Turds

About 10 minutes before dismissal each afternoon, my students pack their bags and gather together on the Reading Rug to listen while I read them a story. This is a good way to help them unwind after a long day.

Today, while the kids were packing up and grouping on the rug, my student, Demarcus, rushed up to me. “Teacher! Teacher, I have to tell you something. I have to show you something.”

Demarcus is an African American boy with many learning disabilities. He is in my homeroom, but spends most of the day in the resource classroom. His speech is usually slow and slurred, but today he spoke quickly and with urgency.

He took me by the hand and led me to a classmate’s desk. “Jorge has been slinging turds all over the place!” Demarcus pointed his small finger towards the floor.

I followed his gaze and, sure enough, there were several Milk- Dud sized turds scattered under Jorge’s desk.

Did Jorge seriously take a poop in my classroom? I stifled the urge to puke and laugh at the same time, thanked the Demarcus for bringing the poop to my attention, and then I sent him back to the Reading Rug.

What was I supposed to do? I felt dumbfounded. I ignored the feces and herded all of my students safely onto the Reading Rug. We read a story and the kids appeared to be blissfully ignorant of the stench that was filling up the classroom. When the dismissal bell rang, I ushered them all quickly out the door and locked it behind them.

I hate to admit it, but I think Gaby stepped on one of the turds. I can only hope her mother mistakes it for dog poop. Imagine the parent phone calls this would initiate!

I’m laughing even as I type this, but I am also aware of the seriousness of the situation.

Do teachers really have to put up with this crap? Isn’t that some type of biohazard? I had a classroom full of kids and a pile of turds sitting on the floor. Nothing in the blood- borne pathogens video said anything about human feces.

Teachers really should get paid more.

No comments: