36- Intruder Drill

Due to the current political condition of the world and the abundance of violence occurring in American public schools, we are now required to practice an Intruder Drill. Similar to a Fire Drill or Tornado Drill, an Intruder Drill is designed to teach the students how to quickly move to an area of safety within our classroom in the event that an intruder enters the school.
From a teacher’s point of view, an Intruder Drill should be the least of a hassle among all required drills. The procedure is simple; the teacher locks all classroom doors leading to the outside or hallways and gathers the children in the corner of the classroom, out of sight from anyone who may look in though a window. There is no obnoxious warning bell, no lining up or travel requirements, and no standing outside in the cold or rain. When the drill is over, students can quickly move back to their seats and resume classwork.
Unfortunately, the ease at which an Intruder Drill presents itself is false. An Intruder Drill has proved itself to be simultaneously the most awesome and horrific drill my students could imagine. It’s the word intruder that gets their imaginations going. I learned of their feelings today, when we practiced our first Intruder Drill.
With plenty of forewarning, Principal allowed the teachers to explain the purpose and procedure of an Intruder Drill. Over the morning announcements, she delicately explained the need for this type of drill and then she warned us that we would be practicing the drill at exactly 9am. I figured it would be no big deal; I’d lock the door and shove the kids in the corner for a few minutes and then it’d all be over. I was wrong. Upon completion of the announcements, every student’s hand was in the air, “Teacher! Teacher!”
They all had questions about the Intruder Drill.

Robbie: Are ninjas going to drop from the ceiling and kick us in the face?
Kathleen: (crying) Can I call my Daddy?
Francesca: This is very serious. Children get shot and killed in school everyday.
Josh: Can we hide by the door and beat the intruders down with dictionaries when they break in?
Gaby: Do we really have to sit on that dirty floor?
Hannah: Does this mean we’re gonna miss recess?

I spent the next hour calming the kids down. I tactfully tried to answer all of their questions and reassure them that an intruder would not really be in our school, yet we needed to practice just in case. I know that some kids try to make jokes when they are actually afraid, so I took every question seriously. When it came time for the Intruder Drill, they were prepared.
Principal’s voice came over the loudspeaker, “Alert. There is an intruder in the building. There is an intruder in the building.”
My students flew from their seats and scurried into the corner of the room. A few of them defensively held their hands if front of their face, as if they were ninjas. For the duration of the drill, they sat motionless in the corner, wide-eyed and alert. I was surprised at how obedient everyone (Josh) was being. When the drill was over, the kids soundlessly went back to their seats. I think they were enjoying being in “stealth mode”, as Robbie had called it.
I felt proud as I watched my class; all of their little heads bent down to focus on math problems, pencils furiously computing on paper.
Just when I was sure they were all relaxed, Josh yelled out, “AAARRRGHHH! A GUY WITH A HOCKEY MASK AND A MACHIENE GUN JUST RAN PAST THE WINDOW!”
I spent the next hour consoling frightened children. Ajith peed in his pants. Taylor and Kathleen called home in tears. Josh took a visit to The Intimidator’s office.

No comments: