52- Bulletin Board Wars

The teachers at my school are insanely competitive about bulletin boards. It’s like they expect Martha Stewart to burst into the school, at any second, to critique our hallways. Rather than focusing on displaying their students’ work, many teachers are obsessed with the display itself.
Principal is at fault- she loves pretty decorations and colorful displays. Many times I have heard Principal express her desire for “eye- catching bulletin boards that will ‘wow’ the parents and District Personnel.” She encourages teachers to create elaborate bulletin boards by gifting them with award ribbons and little presents. Word on the street is that the way to Principal’s heart is through a bulletin board.
As a first year teacher, I have much more pressing issues on my mind than cute bulletin boards. I proudly display my students’ work, but my displays lack the fluff and flare of the neighboring bulletin boards. Several times now I have been the butt of some sarcastic stab at my creative talent. Teachers have passed me in the hall, disdainfully looking from me to my walls, with unimpressed sneers on their faces. I don’t mind. I think their competitive attitudes are ridiculous. I am happy to have simple bulletin boards.
This morning, during the announcements, Principal declared a bulletin board contest for the holiday season. She explained that all teachers are required to participate. The winner will receive a $25.00 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble, and three lucky runners- up will win a $5.00 gift certificate to Sonic. All boards must be up by November 13th.
Sonic?

No comments: