70- Francesca's Story

Every morning, for about five minutes, I gather my students in a circle on the classroom rug. We use this time to ask questions, talk about our interests, and get to know each other. This morning, Francesca, raised her hand to speak. Even though Francesca’s mother is the most irritating woman on earth (Class Mommy), Francesca is a good kid.
Francesca’s classmates got quiet and listened intently as she excitedly told her story, “This boy told me that, in another grade, there’s this really, really, really, really, nice teacher. He’s bald, and,” she took a deep breath, “If you’re good for a whole month, he’ll let you draw on his head!”
Draw on his head? Is that the type of incentive kids need?
I couldn’t stifle back a laugh at this one.
Francesca’s eyes were lit up, and with her news, the rest of the class started to perk up, too. There were “Ooohs” and “Aahhs” and then quiet as they looked eagerly at me, waiting for me to disclose the location of this bald teacher’s classroom. I had to break the news to them that the only male teacher at our school was the PE Teacher, and he had a full head of hair. My kids looked disappointed, but still delighted to know that somewhere out there, students were drawing on a teacher’s head.

No comments: