71- Derogatory Bulletin Board

I hate this job. I’m going to quit. The Intimidator is a jackass on a power trip and I hate her worse than my stupid job.
During my planning period today, The Intimidator came to visit. I was cleaning out student cubbies when the woman bowled her fat body into my classroom. She had a shit-eating grin plastered from ear to ear. I recognized that smile immediately; it was her “I-Really-Hate-You” smile. I knew I was in trouble, I just didn’t know why.
The Intimidator had the audacity to take a seat behind my desk. Rolls of blubber from her ass spilled over each side of my desk chair. She gestured for me to take a seat at one of the closest student tables.
Puzzled, I sat down in a tiny plastic chair and waited for the woman to speak.
The Intimidator stared me down with her terrible grin for a full minute before she spoke. I could see bits of breakfast clinging to the crevices of her teeth.
“I’m a direct woman, Teacher, so I’ll get straight to the point.”
Holy God, what did I do?
Cracking her knuckles, The Intimidator stopped smiling.
Here it comes.
“Your jungle bulletin board is highly inappropriate. You need to take it down.”
My bulletin board. Inappropriate? I wondered if she was joking, but the stern look on The Intimidator’s face let me know that she was dead serious.
“What?” I was blatantly surprised. “I don’t understand. Did something happen?” I started to worry that a student had defaced my display.
“The content of your bulletin board is inappropriate. As a proud African American woman, I am offended by your display. It is derogatory and offensive and it better be off our school’s walls by the end of today.”
Derogatory? I was becoming more confused by the second. I knew it was wrong to challenge an administrator, but I couldn’t stop myself. “Take it down? I spent thirty bucks in materials for that bulletin board!” I shook my head. “I just don’t understand what you’re talking about.”
The Intimidator’s voice grew shrill. “You don’t need to talk back to me.” She waved her finger in a zigzag motion. “I wouldn’t expect a white girl like you to understand.” She shook her fist. “Monkeys are offensive to my people. They’re racist and I won’t stand for no display of no monkeys on the walls of my school. Oh, no!”
This woman is out of her mind.
“I’m so sorry.” I lied. And to piss her off, I added, “I didn’t realize that monkeys were racists.”
“No, girl, monkeys are not racists, but monkeys represent racism!” The fat lunatic dislodged her ass from my chair and stood to leave. “Don’t you get it?”
I felt a little frightened. “Honestly, I have never heard that before. But, I would never want to do anything to offend you or the students.”
The Intimidator rolled her eyes, “Of course not, a sheltered little white girl like you. Probably never even heard of racism before. Just take down those damn monkeys.”
“I’ll take down the display today.”
“Oh, I know you will!” Those were the last words out of The Intimidator’s mouth as she thundered out of my classroom, slamming the door behind her.
I followed the Intimidator out into the hallway and in 30 seconds I managed to pull down the bulletin board that had taken me 2 hours to create.
Monkeys are offensive?
There goes my gift certificate to Sonic.

No comments: