88- Holiday Party

Class Mommy has been hounding me about the kid’s holiday party. She desperately wants to start planning and has been in my classroom everyday for the past week with questions about the party. After her horrific disregard for the Halloween Party rules, I really don’t want the woman working on the next holiday party.
I have explained to class Mommy several times that there are students in our class who are not Christian, and their religious beliefs will make it impossible to have a traditional Christmas party. Gaby and Kramer celebrate Kwanza, Ajith is Islamic, Ashleigh is Jewish, and Taylor comes from a family of Jehovah’s Witnesses. One fourth of my class does not celebrate Christmas.
I want to be able to include all of my students in the festivities, and figure that if we call our party a Holiday Party we can turn it into a fun and educational experience that will be acceptable to parents of various religions. We will incorporate holiday traditions from many different cultures into our celebration; focusing on the differences between Christmas, Kwanza, and Hanukkah.
If I let Class Mommy plan this party, she will surely try to bring in a Christmas Tree, Santa Claus, and even Baby Jesus himself. I knew I had to do something to stop the woman from undermining my Holiday Party plan.
Class Mommy stopped by my classroom after school to pick up Francesca. The lady was in full throttle pushy mode, and aggressively bullied me to allow her to plan the class party. I was at a loss of words and feeling frustrated, when my own angel walked through the door.
Wobbling on a pair of yellow heels that laced up her leg to the knee, Mrs. Goats entered my classroom. She was wearing the tightest leather miniskirt I have ever seen on a fat woman.
How does she fit into these outfits?
“Jamieeeeee!” Mrs. Goat’s shrill country voice made Class Mommy cringe.
With her jaw dropped, Class Mommy stared disapprovingly at Mrs. Goats, “Who is that—?”
Before Class Mommy could finish her question, I seized my opportunity to introduce the two women. “Mrs. Goats!” I smiled and waved the woman over.
Cheerfully, Mrs. Goats introduced herself to Class Mommy. “I just want to thank you so much; your girl and the other kids have been so nice to my boy, Jamie.”
Class Mommy gritted her teeth and forced a smile.
A little light bulb went off in my head, and I quickly asked, “So, Mrs. Goats, does your offer still stand to help with class parties?”
Class Mommy gasped.
“Well, heck yes! I’d love to help.” Mrs. Goats beamed.
Ah, ha! Take that, Class Mommy!
“Class Mommy was just volunteering to help organize this year’s Holiday Party and it would be great if you could help her out. The two of you could work together.”
“Two heads are better than one!” Mrs. Goats agreed. She laughed and gave Class Mommy a friendly pat on the back. “Sounds like we’re going to be buddies!”
Class Mommy looked stunned. Her skin had paled and she started to stammer, “Uhhh. Ummm.. Eh… Oh, yes!” Trying desperately to regain her classy composure, she flashed a brilliant row of white teeth and agreed, “This will be wonderful!”
I explained my idea for a multicultural Holiday celebration to Mrs. Goats and Class Mommy. They both acted liked they loved the idea, so I left them alone to discuss a few details.
It was great to watch them exchange numbers, and I heard Mrs. Goats say, “You can call me Cheryl. Or Destiny. That’s my stage name…”
Ah, sweet revenge.
At least I could trust Mrs. Goats to keep Class Mommy in line.

No comments: