90- Kramer's Tongue

Kramer came up to me today complaining that his tongue hurt. “When I woke up this morning, my tongue hurt real bad, and it felt a little itchy,” he told me.
“Did you tell your mother?” I asked him.
“Yes, but she was so busy with my baby sister, she didn’t have time to listen to what I was saying.” Kramer looked sadly at me with his big, brown eyes.
“Okay, let me see your tongue.” I put down the papers I was grading and gave the kid my full attention.
The boy stretched out his tongue as far as he could. “Aaaaaaaahhh,” he said as if he were in a doctor’s office.
What I saw made me want to vomit.
Covering the tip of his tongue, a full inch in diameter, was a bright red rash. The rash was lined with a teal blue ring that had an iridescent glow, and in the center of the rash was a yellowish boil.
What the hell is that? The kid’s tongue is rotting off!
“Oh, boy. That does look itchy.” I casually scooted farther away from Kramer. “Why don’t you go let the nurse take a look at your tongue?”
I sent Kramer to the nurse without a note. His tongue was enough of an explanation.
The boy never returned to the classroom. Instead the nurse sent an office aid in to collect Kramer’s his things. The aid told me that Kramer’s mother was on her way to pick up her son to take him to the doctor.

No comments: