91- Holiday Faculty Meeting

The air is full of holiday spirit. The kids are excited. The teachers are excited. Almost everyone is looking forward to the winter break. I say almost because there are a few students who would rather be at school than at home. For some kids, school is the only place that they receive love, warmth, and food. These kids get cranky before holidays and often cry that they do not want to leave.
I am concerned about Demarcus and Turd Boy, but neither of them seems too upset by the upcoming holiday. Demarcus’ family loves him, and will do their best to make him comfortable. Turd Boy’s family ignores him and I worry about how he will get food. I am planning to send home a package of fruit and cheese and crackers with Turd Boy on the last day before the break. This is another situation where I don’t give a damn if people say I have white-girl-ignorance; I don’t want my students to go hungry. My only fear is that Turd Boy’s parents will eat all of his food.
At the faculty meeting this afternoon I smiled guiltily at Coach and tried to wave a peaceful apology from across the room. He acknowledged my smile with a nod, but made no attempt to talk to me.
Principal spent most of the Faculty Meeting preaching about how we must not start the class parties until the last day of school before the holiday, “We must make use of our precious teaching time, y’all. This is still a school.”
Principal waited until the last minute to announce the winners of the Holiday Bulletin Board contest. “I was very impressed with some of your Bulletin Boards… and,” Her voiced trailed off for a minute. “…and not so impressed with others.” She looked disapprovingly in my direction.
Oh my god! The Intimidator made me take mine down! Didn’t Principal know?
The Intimidator crossed her arms over her fat chest and glared at me.
That buffoon!
Principal began to announce the winners. Esther, Ms. Viamonte, and some Kindergarten teacher all won the $5.00 gift certificates to Sonic.
Whoop-dee-doo, I hope Ms. Viamonte chokes on her cheeseburger.
Nobody was surprised when Mrs. Reeve, another First Grade teacher, won the $25.00 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble. Mrs. Reeve had attached blinking lights and moving reindeer to her bulletin board. When you passed by the display, a little motion detector would sense your presence and would begin playing Christmas carols. For all her hard work, that lunatic deserved to win the gift certificate.

No comments: