46- Lesson Plans

The Intimidator announced during our faculty meeting this afternoon that all teachers need to submit their lesson plans for the week to her by tomorrow morning.
Anyone in the education profession knows that a demand like this is evil.
The strictness of lesson plans varies from school to school. Some principals review teacher plans on a weekly basis, others on a monthly basis, and some principals never ask to see lesson plans. I was beginning to think that we were one of the lucky schools where teachers are never required to submit lesson plans. The Intimidator shattered this dream for me today.
It’s not that I do not write lesson plans, because I do. I spend hours each night, planning for the lessons I will teach. My lessons are thoughtful and preplanned. I follow our pacing guides and consider all of The District’s recommendations. I’m nowhere near the “just wing it” philosophy that many of my school’s more experienced teachers have. I want to be a good teacher.
Like most teachers, I do not write my lesson plans in the formal format required by the Administration. My lessons are written in a way that only I can read. I use abbreviations and shorthand notes that only I would be able to understand. The Intimidator’s request meant that I would have to rewrite all of my lessons for the week in clear, legible print that would make sense to others.
The cruelty of The Intimidator’s request for lessons falls into one specific category: timing. She demanded formal lesson plans on Monday afternoon at 4:00pm to be submitted Tuesday morning at 7:30am. Deducting the time we need to eat, sleep, and interact with family, this gave the teachers about five hours to write a week’s worth of lesson plans. It was possible, but mean.
To make matters worse, Report Cards go out on Friday. All grades are due to the office by Thursday. This means that all week teachers will be frantically trying to get in last minute grades, organize tests, and enter data. This is the busiest week of the quarter. I had already prepared myself to stay late for the next few nights.
I left the school with a wicked headache at 8:00 this evening. Mr. Love locked up the school and turned on the alarms at about 6:30. Fortunately, the school’s alarm system only covers the interior hallways and core of the school. I was able to remain in my classroom and leave out the backdoor when I had finished editing all of my lesson plans. I am one of over a dozen teachers who stayed late tonight.
I know I’m not the only one who hates The Intimidator.

No comments: