55- Infidelity

Tonight I saw Ms. Viamonte making out with Caroline’s husband.
My day started out great. I managed to sleep until almost 9am. I went out to lunch with a girlfriend and then to the mall to shop for a Halloween costume. I am going be Harriet Potter, the girl version of Harry Potter. I know it sounds cheesy, but I am determined to not fall victim to the trend of looking like the biggest slut I can on Halloween. Many girls use Halloween as an excuse to wear skimpy clothing in public. If I’m going to risk running into another parent, my body is going to be adequately covered.
After shopping, I watched General Hospital and then went for a long jog near the river. I treated myself to a huge bowl of pasta for dinner and then got ready to meet “teacher-friends” at a pub on the other side of town. Mr. Thorpe’s band was playing and a group of teachers decided to meet up for some music and beers. We all agreed to wear costumes.
A usual crowd of revelers greeted me when I arrived at the bar. Mr. Thorpe, Caroline and Mark, and Ms. Viamonte were familiar faces among the group. Mr. Thorpe was dressed as Lurch from The Addams Family. As a tribute to their rivaling college teams, Caroline was dressed as a USC Gamecock and Mark was dressed as a Clemson Tiger. Ms. Viamonte was dressed as a… cowgirl? It was hard to tell what her costume was; she wore a lacy red lingerie top over a skimpy jean skirt. Her cowboy boots and hat made me think she was trying to be a cowgirl, but she pretty much looked like a slut.
We chatted, drank a few beers, and played a game of pool until it was time for Mr. Thorpe to go on stage. His band is a typical cover band with a few original songs. From the crowd drawn, it is obvious they appeal to fraternity and sorority kids who like The Dave Matthews Band and Widespread Panic. I thought Mr. Thorpe’s music sucked, but the beer and friends encouraged me to stay.
As the night grew later, our group got drunker. We started laughing too loud and calling other faculty members names that are too rude to repeat. I tried to behave myself, but the occasional slur did slip from my lips. Ms. Viamonte started her trademark sway-in-her-seat move, and I wondered if she would puke again tonight.
At one point in the evening, Mark got up to use the restroom. Caroline was distracted by the popular bar game, View Finder, and barely acknowledged her husband’s departure. A few moments later, Ms. Viamonte abruptly announced that she, too, needed to use the restroom. I felt concerned that Ms. Viamonte may be about to vomit, so I followed her to the bathroom.
When I reached the hallway leading to the bathrooms, I realized my big mistake. There was Ms. Viamonte and Mark engaged in a sloppy kiss. Their bodies were intertwined. Tiger enveloped cowgirl. Ms. Viamonte was forcefully pulling Mark’s hair, while he eagerly massaged her ass with both of his hands. They were making hungry groaning noises.
Shit. Shit! Why did I have to see this?
Suddenly, I was the one who felt sick. I rushed back to our table and sat down. I wasn’t sure what to do. I watched Caroline happily play her video game.
Should I tell her?
I sat there for a few minutes, fidgeting with my empty beer. I literally watched the clock on the wall as six minutes ticked by. Mr. Thorpe’s god-awful music wailed in my ears.
Are they still back there making out?
Caroline paused from her game and called to me, “Hey! Where’s Mark?” She rose as if she were about to go look for her husband.
Oh shit. What could I say? Your husband’s in the back, molesting the town slut. I realized that I may be about to witness a very ugly scene. I grabbed my purse and jumped out of my seat. I did not want to be involved with this kind of drama.
I don’t remember what excuse I mumbled to Caroline as I made my way toward the door. I hailed the first available taxi. On the ride home I debated with myself; should I call Caroline and tell her what I saw or should I stay out of it? By the time I’d reached my apartment, I’d made a decision.
I like Caroline, but I do not know her that well. I don’t know what type of relationship she has with Mark, but I do know that a drunken night is not the time to tell a woman that she married a jackass. Who knows how she would react?
I decided to get a good night’s sleep and reevaluate the situation in the morning.

No comments: